Hey guys! Welcome back! Today I am here to talk to you about Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome. It actually affects up to 10 percent of the female population.
So symptoms start a little casually but they could start as early as during puberty unfortunately doctors don’t actually know why you get PCOS but they attribute it to
- A really poor high-calorie diet
- A sedentary lifestyle
- and family history (hereditary Factor).
What Exactly is PCOS?
But let me backtrack, I think am getting a little bit ahead of myself here. What exactly is PCOS?
- It is a condition that affects your ovaries. If you don’t Remember what ovaries are don’t forget to go back to my previous Articles on the female anatomy anyway so you’re ovaries get enlarged and cysts begin to grow on them.
- Now these cysts are not harmful but they do lead to an increased production of hormones like estrogen and testosterone, throwing off the imbalance.
Basically, this can later lead to:
- Heart disease
- So, what are the symptoms? Well, some of your most common actually occur during your period such as irregular periods and really heavy period flows having said that, relax, because many times having irregular periods or heavy periods is just normal so it doesn’t automatically mean you have PCOS.
- Other symptoms include severe acne on the face, thinning of the hair on your scalp, excessive weight gain, and hair growth on your face.
- Again this is a bit vague because not all the symptoms mean that you have PCOS. Unfortunately, sometimes it’s just the byproduct of puberty and being a girl.
- If you really, really suspect something is up though you should definitely go to a doctor who will do blood tests to check for your hormone levels and check for cysts.
- Honestly treatment? It’s just a lifestyle change, you have to eat better, have a heart-healthy diet, exercise and lose weight.
- Those three things are basically the mantra for any disease to keep it all away. Prevention is always better than treatment.
So I am going to go but before I do you know the drill, don’t forget to email me or SMS me and reach out and always remember to subscribe to our channel. I will see you guys later.